Update: The curators are currently going through the submissions. Once their decisions have been made we begin contacting artists.
The Arts Club of Washington continues its support for the visual arts with the Call for Entries for the 2017–2018 gallery season. Exhibitions are scheduled monthly from September 2017 through May 2018. These exhibitions provide opportunities for artists to display their works and allow the Arts Club to present a variety of visual arts to gallery visitors.
2017-2018 Call for Entry Guidelines
Open to all active living artists. One Artist per submission. Groups interested in applying for an exhibition should contact Nichola Hays at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Entry
Extended – Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 5:00 pm.
Two-dimensional works in all media, styles, and techniques are acceptable. Overly delicate, large, or heavy hanging works may be accepted at the discretion of the Exhibitions Committee chair. A limited number of small-scale sculptures that can be displayed on a mantle may be accepted. Images submitted should be representative of the proposed exhibit (size, medium, subject matter, etc.).
The Arts Club of Washington features three formal galleries for exhibition use. The curator, in conjunction with the Exhibitions Committee, will determine in which gallery to display each exhibition. Two or three artists per month are generally accepted, although this is subject to change.
The club invites a panel of several independent art professionals to make selections for the year and to curate the exhibits. Curators are often associated with the National Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery, Kreeger Museum, and other area museums and galleries.
To enter, please submit the following application requirements to:
Arts Club of Washington
2017 I Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Attn: Pat Moore/Nichola Hays
- An entry fee of $50 for non-members, $25 for Arts Club members; check or money order made payable to the Arts Club of Washington.
- A résumé or professional bio of each artist(s) applying for consideration. Please email and phone number.
- Ten high resolution (300 DPI) jpeg images on a CD/DVD-ROM or a Flash drive representative of works in the proposed exhibit. All images must be labeled with numbers corresponding to the image list
- A numbered image list including the artist’s name, title, medium, year executed and dimensions of each artwork.
All information must be submitted at the same time. Incomplete entries will not be considered.
Terms for Exhibit
- Information necessary to organize the monthly exhibition, such as images for the Arts Club’s website and newsletter, price list, and biography will be submitted by the artist in a timely manner, generally 45 days prior to the exhibition opening.
- Works cannot be priced for more than $10,ooo unless otherwise approved by the exhibition committee.
- Individual works may be designated as “not for sale” (NFS) at the discretion of the artist, but cannot exceed 25% of the total exhibition, unless otherwise approved by the Exhibition Committee.
- Transportation for delivery, unpacking, packing, and pick-up of works is the responsibility of the artist or their representative.
- Works exhibited are subject to approval by the Exhibitions Committee.
- Installation of the works of art is the responsibility of the Arts Club Exhibitions Committee.
- Display is restricted to gallery walls. No room installations will be accepted. A limited number of small-scale sculptures that can be displayed on a mantle may be considered. Gallery pedestals will be provided to meet most display needs for free-standing works.
- All wall-displayed works must be suitably framed to be hung from the rod hanging-rail system provided. This requires a secure hanging wire across the back of each work. No nails, screws, or other fasteners are allowed on the gallery’s plaster walls.
- There is a 45 lb. weight limit for each hanging piece.
- Painting of the gallery walls is not permitted.
- All work hung must remain in the Arts Club for the duration of the exhibit. No pieces can be moved or exchanged without the consent of the Exhibition Committee.
- Overly delicate works will be hung at the discretion of the exhibition committee.
The Arts Club of Washington will receive a 40% commission on all sales (25% for ACW members). All sales must go through the Exhibitions Committee. Individual works may be designated as not for sale (NFS) at the discretion of the artist, but not exceed 25% of the exhibition’s works, unless otherwise approved by the committee.
Exhibits are generally on view for a month. Art drop-off and pick-up date is the Sunday (10 am – 2 pm) prior to the public opening reception held on the first Friday of the month. National holidays that fall on the first Friday or last Sunday may alter this schedule.
Tuesday–Saturday: 10:00 am–5:00 pm
Saturdays: 10:00 am–2:00 pm
Closed Sundays, Mondays, and on official holidays.
Occasionally during normal gallery hours, the Arts Club is used for private events, receptions, meetings, or other activities. At those times, any or all of the galleries may be temporarily closed to the public.
Nichola Hays, Gallery Manager and Membership Coordinator
(202) 331-7282 ext. 119
You must be logged in to post a comment.